Monday, February 1, 2010

New beginnings

If the weather gods and airport angels cooperate and function as they should (triple cross your fingers for me!), I will be on a plane home in less than 36 hours. Home as in the United States. Of A-m-e-r-i-c-a. O.M.G. is right.

After much deliberation and discussion, I have decided to take a leave from the land of cows and mountains, chocolate and cheese, and begin the next leg of this adventure. I had elaborate plans to work in Prague for a few months, to travel to Spain and to Corsica, and to see where all of this would lead to, but thanks to some very important documents that are at the mercy of stubborn, slow, and bureaucratically challenged Germans, I have no choice but to pack up my suitcases and make the trek back stateside. But honestly, my return could not come at a better time.

There are so many things that I've missed from the States and no matter how much time I spend talking to friends and family on Skype or reading the American newspaper online or looking at photos from my crazy college days at the beach, the nostalgia remains. Granted, some may consider me to be an overly nostalgic person, but that's only because--as I see it--I have so many memories that are worth reliving. Of course I am going to miss the Swiss traditions that I've established for myself. . . Walking through the vineyards, coffee and reading at Tea Room à la Baye, and jumping on a train to explore yet another charming village with my camera . . . But I know these things will still be here when I come back. And although I can't yet comprehend how much I will miss hearing the sweet sounds of my favorite language while walking down the street or waiting in line at the grocery store, I cannot tell you how excited I am to actually understand every single word someone says to me. To speak at the level of a college graduate? It's going to feel like a foreign country!

And in order for me to keep this adventure rolling, to keep my eyes and ears and all senses engaged, it's time to take on something new, even if that means, ironically, returning to my roots. To take this adventure in a direction that maintains just that--a sense of adventure and excitement and uncertainty. After all, that's how I kicked this off and that's how I plan to continue it.

So then. . . What's next? I can tell you this: I fly back to Idaho on the 3rd. Then it's off to Portland with a moving truck, a serious rain jacket, and a revived sense of curiosity. On February 17th, Yoga Teacher Training at CorePower begins, where I plan to unearth and cultivate the yogi that's dying to break out, especially after months of cold weather and chocolate--not the healthiest of combinations. Anything beyond that remains a mystery. Hopefully Portland life includes a job if I can find one, maybe even an internship, and perhaps a photography class to continue shaping my craft. Trust me, I have plenty of ideas--too many for my own good--but all leading toward something great, I just know it. And the best part? I will be closer to all of you! (I bet you saw that one coming.)

Mind. Body. And spirit. It's all there. A recipe for greatness. What that recipe calls for? I'm not yet entirely sure. But if I've learned anything since I got here six months ago, it's that the "figuring-it-out-process" is what I'm good at. Maybe I am hopelessly optimistic and wretchedly stubborn. But these things keep me dreaming, keep me working, and keep me living. The details? I'm not worried. They'll work themselves out eventually.

Now then, let's get on with it, shall we?

2 comments:

  1. I won't lie, I am so psyched to have you so close to me! And you will love P-Town. Especially coming into spring... I'll be stalking you, fo sho.

    And if you ever want to slow down the pace and take it the beach side, you know where to go.

    Love you and cannot wait to see your smiling face!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the most amazing adventure awaits us both... a new city, a fresh page. couldn't have imagined more perfect timing if i had tried and can barely contain my anticipation!

    ReplyDelete