Wednesday, December 16, 2009

New love

That's right. I'm in love. With Greg Laswell and his raspy voice and dreamy lyrics. I first heard his song "The One I Love" in the car with Sam while driving along the rugged, raw California coast heading north. Our hands danced outside the windows as we let ourselves drift into other worlds of thought, trying to imagine what post-grad life would be like. I bought that song on iTunes the moment I got home and it's been racking up the play count since, always reminding me of that perfectly clear road trip day in a car that was so packed full of Sam's college life and our swirling memories that I'm still shocked that we made it to San Francisco in one piece.

And since then, I've been wanting to buy the CD, but being such a tightwad has left me listening to the 30 second teasers on iTunes. But I did it. I finally broke down and bought his album and what an excellent choice it was. I'm slightly obsessed and repeatedly get lost in the delicate guitar strings and depressingly romantic lyrics. Walking lakeside with my iPod, I imagine myself with toes in the wet sand, a morning walk on Mission Beach, coffee mug in hand, thinking and walking and occasionally stopping to stare out at the steady blue line where ocean and sky meet. The snowy mountains aren't such a bad tradeoff, but the nostalgia still creeps in and I find myself missing a lot of things. And although this may seem sad to some, I actually find myself happier after such moments because I have so many wonderful memories to look back on.

Okay, enough sentimental pondering for one post. If you haven't listened to him, I strongly recommend that you check out Greg Laswell, album titled "Three Flights from Alto Nido." Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. I just purchased the album off iTunes, in blind faith of your recommendation.

    I have been in need of a new CD to play on repeat and we always have the same taste as far as those "boys with raspy voices, heartfelt lyrics, and playing a guitar" stuff goes.

    Thanks and see you in 10 days! YIKES!

    ReplyDelete