Monday, December 7, 2009

New Developments III

1. Work. If you're wondering why I haven't written about work lately, it's simply because there's not much to say. The number of us still working is seriously dwindling--only five left in the restaurant and significantly less in the kitchen as well--but that has allowed me to get to know my co-workers better, so it hasn't been such a bad thing (not to mention the fact that with more time to spare, the cooks are always giving me samples of new dishes or foods I haven't tried--a perk that I do not find in the least bit bothersome).

And since the breakfast manager left on pregnancy leave about a month ago, I have been put in charge of the breakfast alongside Christianne. So essentially I work from 6am to 3pm every day. Not a bad schedule at all and I get to work during the busiest parts of the day, which obviously provides more entertainment. Still though, business is really slow on account of the work going on in and around the hotel. Just to give you an idea. . . On a normal day in September, we were serving anywhere from 60 to 120 people for the breakfast. A couple days ago, it was ten. Yeah. Okay, so maybe that was an exception, but still, you get the idea.

2. Friends/Social life. My newest friend is Gilles, a 18-year-old from Switzerland who works in the kitchen. He is my teddy bear. And he kind of looks like one too. He is a BIG kid--a rugby player actually--and I've taken to thinking of him as a simultaneous bodyguard.

The other night a group of us (service and kitchen personnel) went to the Black Pearl, the one and only club in Montreux. It was fun and I danced so much that my legs are sore today--two days later. And this is slightly embarrassing, but I honestly forgot what a serious hangover feels like. However thanks to my friends vodka, vodka, and more vodka (not that it takes me much to get tipsy anyways), I was in good shape--or not, depending on your perspective. I will also say that yesterday morning was not pleasant. AT ALL. Two hours of sleep after a night of drinking is not what I'd call smart. But hey, I've been too responsible lately, so I figured why not take a couple steps back?? Ha, I joke I joke. It was a great night, but more than anything, it made me miss my San Diego crew. No matter how hard I tried, dancing without the girls to old pop songs was a lost cause. And now for my quiet moment of nostalgia...

3. The Christmas Market. Vin chaud has replaced my almost-daily coffees. I can't think of a better way to spend 4.50 Swiss Francs.

4. Vacation. I officially have the entire month of February off. And maybe March (I may try to pull some strings with the management :). What do I plan to do? As of now, I hope to be in Prague with my aunt and cousin. Maybe an internship or volunteer position or something of the like. There are plenty of options. And in April, Omi's birthday. And after? I'm not sure about that yet. I suppose you could say that I'm taking my life one month at a time right now, since anything more would be unrealistic considering my current visa/passport situation. But that's top secret info. Hmmm. . . If anyone has high powered friends in Germany, let me know, please? Thanks!

5. Visitors. In exactly 20 days and 18 hours, I will have not one but TWO of the most wonderful people I know here with me. But really, who's counting? Shan and Car, I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And our New Year's with Nat and Heather is going to be epic. I am so excited that I barely know what to do with myself, but I suppose the anticipation is one of the best parts. Okay, I lie. You girls can just get here already!

That's all for now, but with two days off coming up on Wednesday and Thursday, I'm sure that I'll come up with something new to write about. Although, I'm warning you. . . It may involve more vin chaud and Christmas cheer. Hope you don't mind.

1 comment:

  1. OMG ONLY 20 DAYS, I CANNOT BELIEVE IT! IM SO FREAKING EXCITED THAT I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF... SO I PROCEEDED TO LET OUT THIS AWKWARD GIDDY SQUEAL WHICH MADE MY BROTHER THINK SOMETHING WAS WRONG WITH ME!! AHH sigh. Instead I will sing a song to you and I hope you dance to it in your room to make up for me not being able to dance with you the other night...ready?

    I'm sooo EXCITED, I just can't HIDE IT! I'm about to lose control and I think I like it. I'm sooo EXCITED, I just can't HIDE IT!

    I know, I know, I know, I know that I want YOU, WANT YOU!!!!

    We shouldn't even think about tomorrow (I know, I know, I know.)
    Sweet memories will last a long long time(I know, I know, I know.)
    We'll have a good time baby don't you worry (I know, I know.)
    And if we're still hangin' around well that's just fine. Let's get excited, that we just can't hide it!

    I know, I know, I know, I know that I want YOU, WANT YOU!!!!

    Alright that took a very long time to sing in my head and write out but I danced in my seat to it, so I hope you do tooo! ( And ignore the sexual undertones, which I just noticed, to that song, lol) LOVE YOU!!! See you sooooooon :)

    ReplyDelete