Monday, December 7, 2009

Bâle. And my search for the perfect Christmas market begins.

It's official. I love Christmas markets. Like if I could, I would go to a new one every day even if it meant looking at the same 20 stands over and over again. There's something just so cozy about walking around the little wooden chalets (built for the individual vendors) with a steaming cup of vin chaud keeping my hands toasty warm. Whether or not browsing turns to buying, the ambiance of the European Christmas Market is unlike anything in the states. Okay, maybe I have fallen under the spell of holiday cheer and am intoxicated by the smell of freshly baked pain d'epices (spiced bread), pretzels, and macaroons, but who can blame me?

So my love for Christmas markets ("Christkindlmarkt" in German) took me to Bâle (also called Basel in German) last week on my day off. Reading up online, I found that Bâle, a city mostly known for banking and commerce, boasts the biggest Christmas market in Switzerland. Over 120 stands all dedicated to Christmas shopping, food, and plenty, plenty of drink. And being three hours away by train, I figured, why not take a little day trip to a new city?

I found it to be charming enough, especially the old town. While walking around the winding streets that quickly warp anyone's sense of direction, I actually saw a building dating back to 1322. 1322! I couldn't believe it, especially since it just looked to be someone's residence. I can just hear it now. . . "Yeah, come on over! My house is the one with the nice 700-year-old brickwork around the door. And the hand carved design around the arched windows."

And how about the Christmas market? you ask. It was nice enough, and the people watching was top notch, but I personally prefer the market in Montreux. The market in Bâle actually felt smaller because all the stands were closer together and there was much less a variety in vendors. However, one thing that Bâle had that Montreux is seriously lacking? Vin chaud with amaretto. So freakin good and the best way to warm up on a chilly December day.

So then, here are some photos from my walking tour of the city. No Christmas market photos are included since the light of day severely lessens the magic of the place. So for now, you'll just have to use your imagination. Think white lights, Christmas trees so decorated that they look as if they will fall over, and mini wooden houses draped in fake snow and tinsel. And Christmas music--lots of American Christmas music. Just as it should be.

Doesn't this window just have "fairytale" written all over it? If Rapunzel were ever made into a feature length film, I vote that they replicate this exact window. I don't think it could be more perfect!
Münster, the 13th century Gothic cathedral that sits at the edge of the old town, overlooking the Rhine River. Pictured are the red cloisters near the back of the cathedral.
Climbing to the top of the cathedral towers. It was intense. And definitely not designed for anyone over 200 pounds.
View from the cathedral towers where you can see France and the Black Forest in Germany to the left and right.

1 comment:

  1. Ooo Christmas music! I LOVE Christmas music!!! It just sets the mood for me and then everything else for the Holidays seems to fall into place, perfectly in tune with the music, ahhhh. I can see us now.... Skipping through endless markets filled with lights, buzzed off our delicious vin chaud as we sing sweet sounds of Christmas to whoever will listen. Which will be everyone, duh, because we are loud Americans who freaking love Christmas, wine and each other!!! Loves Mel Belle!

    ReplyDelete