Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Luna llena

What I didn't mention in my last post was that I almost decided to forgo walking the city of Zürich itself after the Christmas market and take the train back to Montreux right away. I was quickly losing the drive to explore and a nice long bubble bath back in my room sounded much more appealing that walking aimlessly in the freezing cold weather. But thankfully, I'm stubborn and being in the city and not seeing what it had to offer, especially in light of the season, just sounded stupid. So I sucked it up and gave my tired feet the finger.

And it was when I was walking through the maze of streets that make up the beautiful old town that I stopped and mentally thanked myself for being so stubborn. Walking next to one of the city's many churches, I nearly stumbled upon a group of bundled people standing in the middle of the cobblestone street. And when I looked to see what all the commotion was about, I understood. Framed by walls of 15th and 16th century buildings on both sides, an enormous full moon was rising, shining like a spotlight down on the city. I don't think I've ever seen a moon that big. At first, I actually thought it was fake--no joke. It was that impressive, and the rest of the people walking by seemed to think so as well. Tourists and Zürich natives alike stopped to pay gratitude to the moment--whipping out their camera phones to snap some hopeless shots, followed by standing there in silent awe as the luminous ball of light climbed its way up the black sky.

I stayed for about twenty minutes, trying to find anything to put my camera on to get a steady shot. Sadly, I didn't have many options, so handheld it was. But I still got one shot that is an attempt of recreating the moment. One guy I was standing next to actually gave me his email address and asked me to send him the photos. His pocket digital wasn't being too cooperative, so I agreed. It was one of those moments that I will never forget--photo or not--and I can imagine that he wanted to share it with people he knew too.

Oh, and did I mention that this street was lined with Christmas trees draped in white sparkling lights? And that when I walked it later, I discovered that it was used books heaven? There must have been at least five ancient used book stores on this tiny street. It was like my very own Christmas dream come true. Even now when I try to explain the scene to someone, I'm nearly speechless because it was that extraordinary. I only wish that you all could have been with me. Another time perhaps?

And now to share my magical moment, voilà!

Take 1. Blurry, but I still like it.
Can I stay forever? Please??
Take 2. Okay, more like 15 but who's counting.
I played with the color here a tad. I think it looks like a scene out of a 50s Christmas movie or something along those lines. Romantic and vintage: two things I love. Ah, sigh.


1 comment: