Friday, November 13, 2009

Word of the week: November 9th-15th

Okay, I think I skipped a week there, but please, bear with me! I rarely know what day it is since my "weekend" is always changing. Actually, this is the only way I really keep track of the days in the first place. Ha. So, the word of this week is...

Tac

*Pronunciation: just as it looks, like the english tack you stick in the wall to hold up photos or the like.

*Meaning: Now this one is tough to describe. My best attempt? It's more like a sound affect or something you say while you're doing something. Allow me to provide a scenario... You are setting an elaborate table and and placing knives and forks and spoons and glasses tediously in their places. Often people will say to themselves, "Tac...tac...tac..." when putting things in order, as if saying, "Boom...boom...boom," but with less force. Does that help?

*Where I learned it: I think this word (or more often series of repeated words) actually dates back to my first French class at USD with Sophie Halvin. I don't remember if she told us that French-speaking people use this "sound effect" (if you will) or if I just heard her use it on occasion. But nevertheless, I fell in love with the sound of it, especially because most people here don't even realize that they are speaking when it comes out of their mouths, as if the words are synched with movement.

*Additional notes: Trust me, it's fun to say. And I've adopted the succession of words and use it every chance I get. Place a spoon, "Tac!" And the knife and fork, "Tac, tac!" And the cup, saucer, spoon, sugar, cream, and chocolate? Okay, you get the picture.

Practice this one at home next time you throw a nice dinner party. It will go along nicely with your Switzerland-inspired penis-shaped napkins.

"Tac!"

No comments:

Post a Comment