Friday, November 20, 2009

Home Sweet Home

And no I'm not talking about my little room in Switzerland, though I have come to adore my nook in this hotel. No, instead I'm referring to my visit to Germany and, more specifically, Omi's house. It never fails. The moment I walk through the front door, the smell immediately brings back memories of past visits with mom in springtime, the Euro-summer with Chels, and a feeling of pure relaxation that can only really be described by a heavy and happy sigh. Ahhhh. The feeling of home.

And every time I leave Omi's house, I try to hang on to that smell for as long as possible, keeping at least one item of clothing tucked away in a safe place so that when I pull it out again weeks later, that scent still lingers and summons the memories and feelings of utter contentment all over again.

So to say that I had a great time in Germany would be an understatement. I ate Omi soup, ratatouille, pancakes, and melt-in-your-mouth, almost-to-good-to-be-true chocolate that Omi left on my pillow at night since she knows that I love to have one small piece of chocolate in the morning, a habit I don't really care to break. And obviously, the company made everything that much better. A big family dinner with the cousins and aunt and step-uncle, wine and stories, and of course, conversation infused with German, English, and French that ends up becoming very confusing and absolutely hilarious.

For now, I end here. But don't you worry, I will post some photos and tell you more tomorrow. I'm still trying to catch up on the sleep that I didn't get last night or on the train ride back. So more soon!

Happy weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. oh my love...a bit of nostalgia and homeyness (ominess?) oblivious to time or place... can't wait to be there!!! maman

    ReplyDelete