Thursday, November 26, 2009

Date night

That's right. I went on a date last night. With whom? you ask. Myself. Ha! Yes, ladies and gents. I took myself out on a date to the grand opera house in Lausanne. The national Ukrainian ballet company was coming through for two nights only, and since I am a self-proclaimed ballet/classical music junkie, I could not pass up the opportunity. So, I got all dressed up to see Le Lac des Cynes also known as "Swan Lake". Tchaikocsky has been one of my favorite composers since I can remember (thank you Mom and Dad, The Nutcracker, and Mr. Gala), and "Swan Lake", one of my favorite pieces.

Needless to say, it was incredible. And I splurged on the seat, so I could not have been happier--especially since there was no giant 6'7'' man sitting in front of me. Sometimes I love the fact that everything in Europe--including the people--is smaller here. And the ballet? Well, the music is still playing through my head on repeat, along with twirling and leaping ballerinas dressed in glittering winter white tutus. Under the lights of the stage, the dancers looked luminous, like the surface of a lake under a full moon. It was truly magical and I felt like I was floating when I walked out of the theatre.

So, in celebration of Thanksgiving and my lovely night out, I'm including a short list of--appropriately--what I am thankful for this year. And in traditional fashion, if you'd like to share your list, don't hesitate to leave a comment below!

I am thankful for...
1. Friends and family. Always and forever number one. Miss you all like you wouldn't believe.
2. My adventure. Without even realizing it, I needed this time here and I am so thankful to have been given the opportunity to take this trip. And work of course :).
3. Internet. Because without it, oh I can't even think about it. Let's just say that I would be VERY homesick.
4. The patience of those I work with. Without them or their understanding, I would have no chance of ever learning this language--which I actually feel that I'm getting a grasp on!
5. College, and more specifically, USD. Four years ago, I would have laughed at the though of actually LOVING my college experience. But the time I had in San Diego prepared me for more than I ever imagined. And most importantly, I met some of the best people I know there. You know who you are.

I could go on and on about food, shelter, health and all those other things that I take for granted every day. So instead I will say that I am thankful for this life and the people I know in it. You all mean more to me that you could ever know. Sending all my love to you and wishing you the best Thanksgiving yet. Just remember, take a few extra bites in my honor. That way, figuratively at least, I was there with each and every one of you!

Peace, love, good health, turkey and pumpkin pie,
Mel

2 comments:

  1. I just had flashbacks to the Nutcracker last year :) .... and the baby ballerinas running around on stage, haha

    Oh and no worries, i ate an entire pumpkin pie for you, DOLLOPS of whipped cream included. :)

    LOVE LOVE LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beauty...

    took many many bites in your honor, darling!

    love you,

    m.

    ReplyDelete