Saturday, October 3, 2009

Raison d'être

My work schedule can be slightly erratic and even frustrating at times, but on days like today, the over seven hour break I have from 11am to 6:30pm does wonders for my overworked mind. I have an even greater chance of turning a regular work day into something more, so that when I lay in bed at night going over the day's events, they don't simply include serving bread to clients, redressing tables, or making a fool of myself while I sputter out some barely comprehendible French sentence to the person who just asked me a question about the menu (though this only serves to make me laugh a little at my stupendous language skills).

Feeling energetic from a lovely day off yesterday, which I will detail in another post, I decided to walk to Vevey to enjoy the absolutely gorgeous weather. From Montreux to Vevey, it takes about an hour at a steady pace and the path runs almost entirely along the lakeshore. And because the temperatures have finally dropped slightly, resembling that of what fall normally feels like, the skies are clearer and bluer than I've seen since I arrived, making the view of the French Alps across the lake match that of the postcards sold in the souvenir shops on every corner. With the added breeze and the fact that most people are out celebrating the weekend, an abnormal number of sailboats zigzag across the lake's glassy surface, their crisp white sails waving hello as they cruise on by.

I walked, listening to music and thinking about this coming week. Marki gets here on Tuesday and I could not be more excited. I seriously cannot wait. And everything about the walk to Vevey--the music playing in my ears, the fresh sunshine warming every ounce of my being, and knowing that I'm really squeezing the gorgeous day for all its worth--makes me feel refreshed down to the deepest part of my soul. I walk lighter than I have in days, weeks even, and every tiny detail about this beautiful place seems to be showing off a little extra today. And I realize, that that's what I love so much about Switzerland and Europe in the larger sense--the details. I've always been a detail-oriented person, though most of the time I find this as a side-effect of an ailment I've suffered from since I was a little girl. Something I like to call perfectionism. But in a place like Montreux or Vevey, it is the details in the surroundings, the people, and the architecture that give them that special charm. It's the red shutters with heart shaped cutouts. The cafés serving tea in hand painted porcelain cups. The old woman sitting on a bench wearing an expertly matched navy and white sailor-inspired outfit complete with a pearl necklace and pearl earrings. Obviously, I don't catch everything, not even with my fine-tuned eye. But that's what makes me love this place and the time I have here even more.

Spending the afternoon at a café with brightly colored, flower-designed tables and matching chairs with a cup of coffee, a great book and a bag full of fresh food from my favorite market, I guess you could stay I'm just feeling a tad more appreciative today. The two women next to me babble on in French and I seem to actually understand a part of their conversation despite how quickly they're speaking. Something about her neighbor maybe? Or no... maybe she said raisin instead of voisin. Ha, no clue. I turn my attention back to the sparkling lake about 100 feet in front of me. Sigh. What a great day.

A cute little port between Montreux and Vevey. I'm not exactly sure, but I think that structure on the right is a house. Built on its own island. On Lake Leman. Jealous much?
Caféing, what I do best (and yes, I am now making that my new verb).
Dream apartment #5387. The sunshine yellow paint, a balcony with just enough room for a lounge chair and a view very similar to the picture below. Yeah, I guess I could live here if you made me.
October on the lake. Say hello to my mountains!

1 comment:

  1. c'est les details... tous petits, importants, minucieux et beaux. "L'essentiel est invisible a l'oeuil."

    ReplyDelete