Friday, October 9, 2009

Care-package tips

Do you remember how exciting it was to get mail when you were eight-years-old? Opening the mailbox and seeing an envelope with your name handwritten on the front was like receiving an award of some kind. Well, take it from me. That same enthusiasm and near fanaticism for mail applies to those of us living far far away from home where the effortless cellphone calls and emails are not quite as available or possible at all. And while any personal mail is good mail in my opinion, the care-package, a thoughtfully crafted and personalized assemble of items, deserves a category of its own.

For those of you who don't yet know the art of care-packages, please contact Nick and Nat in Austin, Texas. They are experts. Like serious experts. Not only did the package they sent win bonus points for the surprise factor, but it included items that I didn't even realized I missed. Yeah, like I said, they know their shit.

So for future reference (though don't even try to duplicate), here is a list for the ultimate care package if you so choose to send one my way (hint hint...):

1. Magazines. Gossip magazines. Perfect for bathtubs and train rides.
2. Chapstick. Three words: I am obsessed.
3. American peanut butter. What can I say? It's one of those things that stigmatizes me as an American and I could care less. I love the stuff, hydrogenated oil and all.
4. Socks. Really good comfy socks for my aching feet. I'm pretty sure that if the socks weren't covering my feet, my toes would be singing praises of joy.
5. A book. And not just any book, but one that I literally almost bought here a week ago and it is so my style. How did they know?!
6. A scarf. Those of you who know me, well, you know I love scarves. As in I wear one every day like it's my job--a job I'll admit I'm really good at.
7. Earrings. Only my second favorite accessory.
8. Goldfish and Kashi granola bars. American goodies appealing to the comfort factor and simply practical for the person on-the-go.
9. Printed photos. Straight to my heart. This one got me good, tears and everything.
10. Tide pen. Yes, doing laundry sucks and this magical creation (which is way over the heads of Europeans--sorry to say) may save several items of clothing each week.
11. Oatmeal. Since sending me a box full of steaming hot chocolate chip oatmeal pancakes may be slightly more complicated, packaged oatmeal was the runner up--and a close one at that.
12. Notes. Little notes attached to each item explaining their importance. Okay, yes I could have figured it all out no problem, but being walked through each item by the sender makes the experience of the package about one-hundred times better.
13. Card. A piece from the person(s) who put the whole thing together. Nick and Nat, I love you guys. You have no idea how much the package meant to me. I figured a blog post dedicated to your awesomeness would only be appropriate.


*Note to future senders: Please do not be scared by this list of items. Yes, I know the examples listed above may seem unbeatable, but I fully support the sending of any American goods to my Swiss address, even if it is a card with your name on it. A piece of home is a piece of home, no matter how big or small. And thank you again to those of you who have already sent me mail: Mom and Dad, Nick and Nat, and Mary (though I haven't received it yet, I am anxiously awaiting the letter's arrival).

Oh, and obviously, if you send me mail, you are guaranteed to get a little Swiss something in return. Just putting that out there :).

2 comments:

  1. Just hearing the excitement in your voice puts tears in my eyes. I am so happy we made your day. Love you so much and miss you!!! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, wow you guys... for joy givers and joy receivers, which is all of you... love you all

    ReplyDelete