Sunday, September 13, 2009

12.09.09

Today I helped an old lady across the street. And no I am not speaking metaphorically, no I am not making a joke at all, although the whole situation seemed funny directly after. Crosswalks on the Grand Rue can be slightly nerve-wrecking at times. You look both ways, hesitate a couple times if you’re like me, and go for it when you are nearly positive that the cars will actually stop since you have the right-of-way (and they really take that seriously here). But it still freaks me out when you see a car coming rather quickly and cannot quite judge the distance. Well today, I was walking back from the market and an older lady was standing at the crosswalk, one foot on the sidewalk, one foot on the street, unable to decide: “Should I go for it? Or no... wait. Maybe after this car...” I waited until the right moment, looked at her and smiled. “Bon apres-midi, madame!” Smiling back, “Bon apres-midi, madamoiselle. Merci! C’est mieux avec deux personnes.” Laughing, “Oui, madame. Je suis d’accord.” And we walked side by side, slowly, until we reached the opposite sidewalk. We smiled and parted ways. Yes, it is better with two, I thought. But for now, one is just fine.


And my Yogi Tea fortune later that day:

“Recognize that the other person is you.”


Seriously, Yogi Tea yogis, how do you do it?


1 comment: