Sunday, March 7, 2010

Saturday Morning

I've recently come to the conclusion that Saturday morning is my favorite part of the week, and I think it's been that way for a while.  I linger with my coffee a little bit longer, mentally review the happenings of that week, and revel in knowing that I have two full days of unattached, non-commital bliss.  Ah, the freedom!  In San Diego, that lovely Saturday morning routine usually involved a pounding headache with a side of multi-grain pancakes and a rehashing session with my partners in crime--a little different from my mornings here in Portland to say the least.  But with a dash of sunshine and a river walk to wake up the body and mind, I have to admit that Portland definitely doesn't suck.  It may even rival the weekend ritual I came to love so much in SD. (But please, don't share that with anyone.  I don't want any feelings getting hurt.)

Oh, and did I mention that the path running alongside the river in Portland is also lined with trees alive with spring fever?  And I'm not just talking about those little green buds that hold so much life and promise in their tiny creases and folds, though they are perfectly delightful in their own right.  But the cherry blossoms!  Ooooo, cherry blossoms the color of cotton candy!  So light and fragile that you fear the slightest wind could come and carry them all away in one swift motion.  

Thankfully (for now), the blossoms and their loveliness still grace the river's edge, coaxing runners and walkers and tourists to come play in their presence.  And even when the pale pink petals are replaced by big green leaves, I have a feeling that friendly charm will stay.  Hmm. . . Saturday morning river walks in Portland?  I sense a new tradition planting itself in my weekend.  It may not be the same as walking with my toes in the wet sand, but I suppose it'll do just fine.



Oh, and if you haven't listened to the song titled "Cherry Blossom Girl" by AIR, I seriously suggest that you check it out.  Trust me, I know you'll love it!

1 comment:

  1. Melanie, your description of the cherry blossoms is magical (and the pictures too!) I hope they stay long enough for me to see them. I'll be back in the states next week and up to portland shortly after

    ReplyDelete