Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"The sun is life's most beautiful decorator."

I remember when Omi said this two weeks ago while walking around Gruyères together, admiring the little village bathed in afternoon sunlight. And right now her words are the only ones that come to my head as I try to think of how to tell you about my day. Allow me to backtrack just a moment...

When I arrived here in August, I started a "Swiss List" of things I would like to do during my time (duh) in Switzerland--things that I consider so important that a list only seems necessary. Walking around Lavaux with my camera has been at the top of my list for a while now, but I've been waiting patiently for the ideal fall day when the sun comes out to play decorator on the already golden and fiery autumn colors of the trees and grape vines. Now, I bet you're wondering ... What is "Lavaux" anyway? Well my fine readers, it is the name of the wine making region on Lake Léman between Vevey and Lausanne. But more than just wine land, Lavaux has been named a UNESCO World Heritage site because the vines and consequent vineyards, which are hundreds and hundreds of years old, and, in most cases, have belonged to the same families for centuries, are built up along the steep lakeside, stone walls separating the vines that can only be harvested by hand. Talk about dedication! The vineyards are then dotted with houses and villages that revolve largely if not almost entirely around the business of wine making. Just add the lake and freshly snow covered French Alps as a backdrop and it's no surprise that this place has gained so much international attention in recent decades. It's a fairly dramatic setting to say the least.

And today was my perfect fall day, a miracle of a day, actually. So, along with a picnic lunch, extra layers of clothing for the cold, and my fully charged camera, I took the train to Cully and started climbing the first walking path I found wedged between the wine terraces and stone walls that hold up years of history. I won't go on and on about how beautiful and spectacular and (place your favorite overused adjective here please) it all was because neither I nor the pictures can do the day justice. But I will say that when I was trying to tell my mom about my afternoon with the vines and failing miserably with vagueness and sputtering "Oh my god!"s, tears--and obviously happy ones--came to my eyes. Corny? Yes. But true? Also a yes. And even now as I write, I can't help but get the chills over and over again. That's how incredible it was.

So to share the day with you more vividly, I will obviously include some photos. Note that the only adjustments I made to them was the brightness--and only on a couple. No enhanced colors at all. I thought you should know that this really is what the vines look like, though I would give the sun a little credit for adding that extra special golden glow. So, without further ado, I present to you my walk through Lavaux. Enjoy!

Did I ever mention that wild white swans are often seen along the shore of the lake? Umm, yeah. See for yourself.

Jumping photo! I even managed to take one by myself. And yes, I am very proud.

Speechless.


And one last thing, if you haven't already, I sincerely recommend clicking on some of the landscape photos to see them blown up. You can see the details in the vines and the jagged snow peaked mountains even better.

So... Now would you like to come and visit??

2 comments:

  1. I want to come and visit!!

    And I love the new picture :) miss you fiercely, boo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel sunkissed. This is one of my favorite words. Simple I know but it seems to do so much for me. :)

    Your photography is breathtaking, love. Wish I could have witnessed you attempting to take your personal jumping pic, hahahaha! Soon you will have an extra pair of hands and eyes to help you discover so so much more. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete