Saturday, September 5, 2009

Hello Fall

Fall is here. I smelled it while I was hiking yesterday, felt it early this morning when I woke up to the crisp air coming through my window, saw it on the little kids walking to school the other day, their jackets and scarves secured tightly to keep in the warmth of home. There is something special and yet bittersweet about feeling the seasons change, knowing that the carefree sunniness of summer will soon be gone, replaced by grey and ambiguity and the unknown. But there's a comfort in all of that, in the face of pending change. You realize that you yourself can be the object of stability and clarity and warmth.


At the very end of my descent down the mountain yesterday afternoon, this leaf gracefully fluttered to the ground, its yellow color catching my eye and reminding me again of how much I love this season and the delicate details it brings to our attention. Ah, fall. It makes me want to curl up next to a warm, crackling fire with a big blanket, extra thick socks, and a homemade soy hot cocoa. Since such things are not readily available, I suppose my candle, comforter, tea, and single piece of dark chocolate will have to do. And honestly? I wouldn't ask for anything else. Okay, except for one of you to be here with me. In time... in time...

No comments:

Post a Comment